Friday 14 November 2014

Tutorial - Shabby Chic Braid

This shabby chic braid is easy to make and can be used for many projects, a few of which I am going to show you in later tutorials.  The braid can be made to look totally different depending on what materials are used and the widths of those materials. Although it looks quite messy it can be trimmed and neatened, though I usually wait until I am using it as it will continue to fray until sown down.

Please note that I am going to use inches and not centimetres in this tutorial as I use a quilters rotary cutter and ruler to cut my pieces and they measure  in inches. The finished width of this braid is 1 3/4 inches.



The braid may be made with more than three layers though keep in mind how you are going to decorate the centre.   In this case I am going to add an automatic machine stitch and I need at least  a 3/4 inch strip to accommodate it, as well as a zig zag stitch both sides holding it down.

In my example my widest strip is 1 3/4 inches wide.  The middle strip measures 1 1/4 inches wide and the centre strip measures  3/4 inches wide.

The length measurement depends on the project you have in mind or your fabric limitations.

Using the fabrics face upwards, lay the middle width  fabric over the widest one and stitch it down along both of its edges.  I have used a zig zag stitch but a running stitch or other decorative stitch could be used. A hand stitch could also be used such as a running or blanket stitch.



 The two pieces sown together.













Lay the centre strip down face upwards on top of the  braid and sew it down as before.


 I have added an automatic stitch pattern down the centre of my braid to finish it off but you could add many other things such as hand stitching, lace, beads or buttons.

 The finished braid.



A braid without additional decoration and one with added lace which was attached with a running stitch.


No comments:

Post a Comment